بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله و بركاته

 According to Islamic Shariah, in the case of marriage it is mandatory that that wali (guardian) of the girl “gives her away” or signs the contract. The wali has to be a mahram of the bride. In the unfortunate situation where a girl has no wali ( father died and she has no brother and no maternal uncle. She has a paternal uncle but he lives abroad and not attending the wedding).  Who can be the wali in this case? It may be mentioned she has uncles by marriage ( paternal/maternal aunt’s husband) who will be attending the wedding. Please advise.

  [By Shaykh Akramuzzaman]

Wa ‘Alaikumussalaam,

Praise be to Allah.

The paternal uncle should be contacted. If he can not come down, he can designate someone to act as the Wali on his behalf.

And Allah knows the best!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *